Sunday, December 8, 2013
Broccoli and Cauliflower Au Gratin
I made this last night for my son's 5th birthday party. The picture above is the "pre-baked" picture, I forgot to take a picture after it was baked. It was a hit at the party and fed about 10 people!
Head of cauliflower
Bunch of broccoli
4 tbsp butter
4 tbsp flour
1 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup milk
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1 cup shredded Swiss cheese
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1/4 tsp paprika
1/4 tsp dry mustard
couple of red pepper flakes
2 cups of bread cubes (1/2" cubes)
1 tsp parsley flakes
1 tsp garlic powder
1. Melt butter in saucepan over medium heat. Stir in flour and allow to cook for a few minutes. Slowly add milk and cream. Allow to cook until thickened.
2. Add all 3 cheeses, salt, pepper, paprika, mustard, and pepper flakes. Cook on low-medium heat until all melted.
3. In 9"x13" pan, put chopped broccoli and cauliflower. Pour cheese sauce over vegetables and mix to combine.
4. In a separate bowl, combine bread crumbs, parsley, and garlic powder. Toss with Olive Oil until combined.
5. Pour bread mixture on top of vegetables and top with a bit more of shredded cheddar.
6. Bake at 375 for 45 minutes.
**Party Hint - I use disposal aluminum pans when I make large party foods. It makes for extremely easy clean-up!**