Monday, December 28, 2009

Eat From the Pantry Challenge - My Goals and Guidelines


So I told my husband about this challenge about eating from the pantry the month of January, and as usual he rolled his eyes and laughed. But instead of laughing with him, I am moving forward with this challenge. I am looking for new and challenging ways to save money in 2010 since I have some pretty adventurous goals (I'll be sharing those soon), so lets start the year off with a bang!!
My pantry is very abundant since I have snagged a lot of great deals lately. So to complete this challenge, my guidelines are posted below:
1. Spend no more than $20 per week on fresh items that are needed, such as milk, eggs, yogurt, fruits, veggies, and meat!
2. Eat at home at least 5 nights per week and use at least 1 item from the pantry at every dinner!
3. Pack my lunch for work at least 4 out of the 5 days (hopefully with leftovers)!
4. I cuurently have a grocery budget of $65 per week, so the extra $180+ dollars will go directly to the principal on my car (one of my goals of 2010 is to pay it off)!
5. My weeks run from Sun - Sat, so my challenge will start on 1/3/10 and end on 1/30/10!
Hubby, I hope you are ready because on January 3 we are starting!!!

4 comments:

  1. My husband didn't roll his eyes; but he did suggest that perhaps this is better to do in March or April and eat everything we've stored for the winter, making room for new, fresh stuff. We're members of an organic farm and the vegetable season starts in May or so. On the other hand, this may be a good time to do it since everyone online will be batting around ideas. I'm torn now... our stockpile isn't extremely big, although our freezer is quite full. I'm considering a mini-challenge in January and a big one in early spring. Yeah! I'll be following your progress, though. Good luck! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck with the challenge! I really like the goal of putting your money saved to the principal of your car. I haven't told my hubby about the challenge yet... but I'm all ready to dive in starting tomorrow! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My husband rolled his eyes also! But you KNOW they are going to be saying "Way to go baby!" when we are done and proved them wrong! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete