Thursday, April 22, 2010

Round 2 – Making a 2nd Meal from Leftovers


So it has been a tough week and a half on my family. Last week I had to travel for work for four days. This left my husband in charge of the kids and the household. They all survived however my husband became sick Friday night and was in bed ALL weekend. He finally went to the doctor on Monday and is now back up to par. Needless to say, the kids and I were pretty much on our own the WHOLE weekend (payback??) and when I cooked, I cooked my normal amounts. My husband did not eat anything and thus I was left with a lot of chicken and over a half left of a meatloaf.


When Monday rolled around I did not feel like cooking anymore and I REALLY needed to use up these good leftovers. So we had 2 nights where we made new meals out of our leftovers. Here is how that went:

Saturday – Roasted whole chicken with mashed potatoes and gravy

Sunday – Meatloaf with corn and rolls

Monday – Homemade chicken noodle soup using the rest of the chicken leftovers.

Tuesday – Spaghetti with meat sauce. It is really good to just add a few slices of meatloaf crumbled up into your pasta sauce. It was delicious and the kids ate it up. They love meat of course!

I just thought how cool it was that we were able to use up our leftovers as not traditional leftover nights. They were disguised in a new delicious meal! By just using a few different things in our stocked pantry with the leftovers lead to two completely new meals for us!

No comments:

Post a Comment